Seville, Spain | AFP | Lionel Messi rescued Barcelona’s unbeaten season on Saturday as the La Liga leaders scored twice in the last three minutes to snatch a 2-2 draw at Sevilla.Messi came off the bench with his team two goals down at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan as Luis Suarez pulled one back in the 88th minute, before the Argentinian struck the equaliser a minute later.Barcelona had not lost a league game this term, or in 13 months, but finishes from Franco Vazquez and Luis Muriel looked to have sealed Sevilla a stunning victory.But Messi came up trumps again and he celebrated his goal, a bending long-range strike into the bottom corner, by rushing to the jubilant coaching staff and substitutes on the touchline.He had been left out of the starting line-up due to a hamstring complaint, with coach Ernesto Valverde perhaps keeping one eye on Wednesday’s Champions League quarter-final against Roma.But he still made the decisive intervention even if Barca’s draw means Atletico Madrid can cut the gap at the top to nine points by beating Deportivo La Coruna at home on Sunday.Sevilla, meanwhile, are still 13 points adrift of the top four, havng played a game more than Valencia, and must recover in time for their own Champions League clash against Bayern Munich on Tuesday.They would have been deserving winners here and, in truth, could have been out of sight had Muriel and Vazquez finished any number of dangerous breaks in the second half.Sevilla were the better side for the opening half an hour and took a deserved lead in the 36th minute when Joaquin Correa shuffled into the area and chipped a cross into Vazquez. He poked a weak finish but it was just enough to beat Marc-Andre ter Stegen.The hosts doubled their lead when Ever Banega’s stinging shot was pushed out too centrally by Ter Stegen, allowing Muriel to take a touch and guide the ball into the corner.Messi came on for Ousmane Dembele just before the hour mark but Sevilla could have been three up, Jesus Navas missing the best chance as his one-on-one was cleared off the line by Gerard Pique.They were made to pay the price as Suarez turned in from close range before the ball rolled tantalisingly out to the left foot of Messi, and he drilled it into the corner. – Bale pushes case –Earlier, Gareth Bale made a strong case for a starting spot against Juventus by scoring twice in Real Madrid’s 3-0 victory over Las Palmas as Cristiano Ronaldo was rested.Bale’s double in Gran Canaria served as a timely reminder to coach Zinedine Zidane, with the trip to Turin for the first leg of the Champions League quarter-finals to come on Tuesday.Karim Benzema had doubled Real’s lead before half-time as Los Blancos moved just one point behind second-placed Atletico. Las Palmas stay 18th, seven points adrift of safety.The only worry for Zidane was the sight of Nacho hobbling off in the first half, with what appeared to be a hamstring problem.“Everything is positive except one thing, the injury of Nacho,” Zidane said. “He is not happy. It is a concern but hopefully only little and the rest is all good.”Bale opened the scoring with a trademark run and finish down the left before Benzema converted one penalty and then generously handed over a second, which the Welshman had earned himself.The question now is whether Zidane was suitably impressed to pick Bale in Italy.“We will see on Tuesday, I am happy for his performance,” Zidane said.Girona’s hopes of Europa League qualification took a knock after they were held to a 1-1 draw by struggling Levante. Athletic Bilbao also drew 1-1 at home to Celta Vigo.Share on: WhatsApp
England squad player Adam Chapman retained his North of England amateur championship crown with a polished performance at Pannal Golf Club, Yorkshire. Chapman opened with an impressive eight-under par 64 and followed up with a second round 69 for a 36-hole total of 11-under 133. He won the Shaw Salver by two shots from Jack Gaunt of Drayton Park and Lindrick’s Bailey Gill. Victory at the end of the season tasted particularly sweet for Chapman, who has been disappointed with his form in 2015. “I’ve had a poor season which started off badly and got a little bit better as time went on,” he said. “I’ve not putted well for most of the year so I’m pleased to have ended with a win,” said the Windermere player, who has now won three major events in successive years at Pannal. He said: “I’ve played nicely this week, hitting fairways in the first round and making good positions count. The putts were dropping too which was a relief.” Chapman added: “I played sensibly and felt comfortable throughout. I hit a few ropey drives, but recovered well and I felt I left a few putts out there to be honest.” Gaunt provided a firm challenge shooting under par rounds of 71 and 64 to put the pressure on. Lindrick’s Gill also put up an impressive performance with rounds of 67 and 68 to equal Gaunt’s total, two strokes behind the winner. Meanwhile, Yorkshire lifted the County Plate for securing the best score after 36 holes by two members of the squad – Bailey Gill and James Walker (The Oaks) – with the latter finishing birdie, birdie, eagle. Bad weather hindered this year’s championship, scheduled as a three-day, 72 hole event. Organisers had to make changes and reduce play to 36 holes due to thick fog that stubbornly refused to lift each morning. Next year’s championship will be held at Alwoodley GC, Leeds Click here for full results Caption: Adam Chapman with Yorkshire past president John Shaw and his wife, Gill, who gave the trophy. (Image © www.drivinggolf.co.uk) 2 Oct 2015 Chapman retains North of England crown
It didn’t seem like much at first – a little numbness in his foot. But in looking back, it marked a turning point in Steven Schultz’s life. Now, as he addresses his own health concerns, Schultz is looking to help others deal with a serious health condition.That numbness that Schultz first experienced in 2009 in his foot, then later his knee in 2009, was later diagnosed as multiple sclerosis, a chronic and potentially debilitating condition. Now Schultz is working to raise money for research for treatment and an eventual cure and to heighten public awareness and education about the severe condition.Schultz, an Interlaken resident who is member of the Board of Trustees for the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, has worked with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, New Jersey Metro Chapter, to establish the fundraiser MS Rock For A Cure, a June 13 event at the theater. The event will showcase The Fab Faux, a musical tribute band that performs The Beatles works. According to the organizers, approximately 300 tickets for the concert have been set aside for the fundraiser, at a cost of $400 apiece, that includes the concert, a pre-event cocktail reception and an after-concert reception.“I want to see awareness here,” Schultz said, hoping this event would allow people to realize what this disease means, its effects largely unrealized by the public and that for those who have it, there is hope.He and his wife, Jaime, said they hope the event would raise $300,000 in sponsorship and ticket sales, with proceeds earmarked for research.“The thing about MS is you don’t know how it’ll affect you,” Schultz explained.Multiple sclerosis, or MS as it’s commonly called, is a neurological, inflammatory disorder that affects and damages the insulating covers of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. This condition can prevent parts of the nervous system to communicate, possibly leading to a wide array of physical symptoms and often lead to permanent neurological problems and damage to the body’s immune system. The direct cause is unknown and MS remains incurable, though there are treatments and medications for the approximately 2.3 million sufferers worldwide.“This is a disease that needs to be paid attention to,” Schultz believes.When he first told Jaime about his symptoms, “I said get to the emergency room,” she remembered.Schultz, who works in real estate development, acknowledged that 2009 – during the financial crisis – was a difficult time for him, with the diagnosis compounding the situation. “He spent a couple of months when he didn’t want to get out of bed or go to work,” Jaime said, noting, “He did but he wasn’t really into it.”“I had a little bit of a pity party,” initially, he acknowledged.The key, they found, was finding a doctor, “that was the right fit,” Jaime said.That physician, Saud Sadiq, MD, FAAN, in New York City, drafted “a health regiment that would fit into Steve’s lifestyle,” factoring in things like diet and physical activity along with traditional medical treatments; and that made the difference in his treatment, Jaime said.Since his initial diagnosis and ongoing treatment, “You really turned your life around,” dealing with the disease and just everyday life stresses, Jaime told Steven.He continues to experience various levels of numbness but “it’s all about maintenance,” of the chronic condition and access to proper medical treatment, Schultz noted – at least for now until a cure can be discovered.
By The Nelson Daily SportsThe biggest prize of the High School Girl’s Roundball season is up for grabs Friday in the Silver City as four schools compete for a berth at the B.C. High School AA Soccer Championship.Defending zone champion, L.V. Rogers Bombers, enters the final four as the second seed in the Kootenay Zone Tourney.Unfortunately, due a quirk in the regular season schedule — a quirk that saw two of the teams entering the zones not want to play the Bombers — LVR’s West Kootenay schedule consisted of two matches against two Single-A teams, Mount Sentinel Wildcats and J.V. Humphries Eagles of Kaslo.J. Lloyd Crowe Hawks, one of those teams refusing to play the Bombers, is the top seed and meets the winner of David Thompson Lakers of Invermere and Prince Charles Comets of Creston. The other team refusing to meet LVR is Stanley Humphries of Castlegar.The game goes at 10:30 a.m. at J. Lloyd Crowe Pitch.David Thompson and Prince Charles played Thursday with the winner advancing into the final four as the fourth-place team.LVR, led by the dynamic midfield of Andrea Stinson and Taylor Stewart — the two were mainstays on the Kootenay Thunder Regional Team — meet Stanley Humphries Rockers of Castlegar at 10:30 a.m. at Haley Park in Warfield.The Rockers won’t be an easy mark for the Bombers, especially with the team nursing a few nagging injuries from too much action.Many of the Bomber players are part of the Nelson Selects U17 squad that won the gold medal last weekend at the Terry Walgren Girl’s Soccer tournament in Nelson.The teams slugged it out through four games, with the final against Newport being decided in shootout.The winners advance to the final at 2 p.m. at the Crowe Pitch.The zone champ represents the Kootenays at the B.C. High School AA Girl’s Soccer Championships June 2-4 in Port [email protected]
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Suzie McMullen of Pickerington has been named Ohio Farm Bureau Federation’s organization director for Fairfield, Hocking, Perry, Pickaway and Ross counties. In her position, she will be a liaison between the county Farm Bureaus and Ohio Farm Bureau. She will assist county groups with program development and implementation and enhance their ability to serve members and affect positive change in their communities.Previously, McMullen was a sales representative for Dow AgroSciences and an intern for Ohio Farm Bureau Executive Vice President Jack Fisher.She graduated from Ohio State University in 2013 with a bachelor’s degree in agriculture education and minor in production agriculture. She was named a top 20 senior in Ohio State’s College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
Liverpool defender Van Dijk: Record price-tag never affected meby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool defender Virgil van Dijk says his world record transfer fee has never weighed on him.Van Dijk left Southampton a year ago for Liverpool in a £75m deal – a record for a defender.The Dutchman told AD: “Quite frankly, it does not do much for me. I can also do very little with it. It is, at most, something that people will start with when you play a lesser game. “But that amount … I know it works like that in football.”De Vrij also said: “I am the proud captain of my country. I play everything at Liverpool, in the international matches with the Oranje squad we all have an excellent feeling. But it goes on and on. We play football in England every three or four days. There is little time.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the Children’s Global Media Summit in Manchester this week.Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attend the Children’s Global Media Summit in ManchesterCredit/Copyright: Royal.ukThe summit explores the impact that digital technology has on children. The Summit was founded in 1995 in order to help steer the future of children’s programming in a rapidly-changing world. The event now involves creatives, technology innovators, policymakers, executives and thought leaders from around the world.A survey published last year revealed children own their first mobile phone aged seven and will start to browse the internet as young as five years old. Over three days, the summit will look at the impact that digital technology will have on children and the future of the media.Through The Royal Foundation, The Duke brought together representatives from key technology companies to launch a cyberbullying task force to support young people and their families affected by cyberbullying. Last month, The Duke unveiled a plan of action to protect children and encourage a new standard of behaviour online.The Duke met with those involved, driving efforts to find a universal tool for children to report bullying when they see it or experience it.Speaking at the conference, The Duke said, “What we cannot do, however, is pretend that the impact of digital technology is all positive or, indeed, even understood. I am afraid to say that, as a parent, I believe we have grounds for concern.”The Duchess also joined a forum hosted by Sesame Street’s Workshop, the charitable foundation of the famous children’s TV show.The BBC also unveiled details of the Own It project, one of the key outcomes of The Royal Foundation’s Cyber Bullying Taskforce.Before arriving at the summit, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge spoke to local school children taking part in a “Stepping Out” session. The session gives young people a chance to share their thoughts on new programmes with Children’s television editorial staff and content producers.Source:Royal.uk
TORONTO – Playtex-branded plastic plates and bowls for children are being recalled after the distributor received four reports of choking in Canada.No serious injury has been reported but Health Canada and Edgewell Personal Care Canada say consumers should stop using the products and return them for a refund.They say the choking risk comes from a clear plastic coating that can peel or bubble from the surface of the plates or bowls.The products feature brightly coloured designs and are sold separately or in sets with plastic cups and cutlery.Further information is available through Health Canada at http://bit.ly/2yIDZeHThe products had been on the market in Canada since January 2010, with about 1.9 million units sold here and 3.6 million units distributed in the United States.No incidents or injuries in the United States have been reported
Jammu: An Army soldier was killed when Pakistan violated the ceasefire by heavily shelling forward areas and posts along the Line of Control with mortar bombs in Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri district Thursday, officials said. Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire in Keri belt of Sunderbani sector this morning, they said. One soldier was was killed in Pakistani firing, they added. Pakistani troops have violated the ceasefire over 110 times along the LoC since January.
New Delhi: The central zone of South Delhi Municipal Corporation on Sunday undertook massive clean-up operations near Nizamuddin Dargah and Humayun Tomb area in an attempt to remove illegal encroachments that were causing major traffic congestion problems in the area. This action from the municipality comes after the Delhi High Court demanded that substantive measures be taken to this effect based on a plea filed by the Jamia Arabia Nizamia Welfare Educational Society (JANWES). Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderDuring the clearing operation, SDMC stated that they demolished 42 temporary sheds and ‘tripals’ and removed several petty articles including iron grills, benches, and refrigerators. Officers from the Licensing and Health and Veterinary departments along with Delhi Police staffers carried out the clearance operations in what SDMC said was an attempt to ease traffic congestion in the streets leading towards the Dargah. The SDMC said that they also issued notices to two kiosks in the area, asking occupiers to remove them, failing which central zone officials will take necessary steps. However, this comes on the back of repeated orders from the High Court regarding clearing up the area, according to an observation made by a bench last week. While hearing the JANWES plea, the court had noted that SDMC and police officials were busy blaming each other and thus delaying clearance operations. It had asked SDMC Commissioner and DCP Traffic to appear before it on April 16.