zoom The new president of Japanese shipping company Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha (NYK Line) Tadaaki Naito has called for a more prudent and rational approach to investment in the upcoming period to avoid unnecessary risk-taking.“I believe that it is important to calmly and prudently verify in our investment decision-making process that we are fully in control of business profitability, or in other words, that we are not excessively dependent on factors outside our control. It is also important that we take a rational approach to necessary risk-taking after carefully considering this balance,” Naito, who took office today, said in his inaugural speech.However, as the shipping and logistics industries, including ocean transport, are promising growth, Naito believes that the growth needs, in Asian emerging markets especially, should be carefully considered but not completely ruled out. “We must have sound management decision-making to cement the long-term stability of our business, and a proactively bold approach to high-growth businesses. Both of these are important and have been handed down to us as part of the DNA synthesized throughout the long and unbroken history of the NYK Group,” he added.NYK has transformed its business substantially over the recent period by becoming a diverse logistics company, and, according to Naito, strengthening of the company’s diversification strategy should be resumed.“In terms of considering the sustainable development of the group going forward, I think there are many important key expressions, and one of these is human resources development. Our medium-level section and team leaders who are involved in day-to-day operations and directly responsible for projects are particularly important players on the front lines. I am very keen to consider human resources initiatives to maximise the abilities of these key people. In addition, we must consider safety, stability, and reliability to be invaluable essentials required for our business,” Naito concluded.
In Mexico heavy rainfall from the hurricane has affected 50,000 people in the state of Tabasco, while nearly 43,500 others have been hit by flooding in Guatemala, where almost the entire country has been affected, with 1,700 families already losing their homes and the rains forecast to continue for the next two to three days, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a news release.A UN emergency technical team has been activated and is in communication with authorities in Nicaragua, where nearly 5,500 people have been affected and over 1,000 houses damaged.In El Salvador, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) and the Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO), the regional arm of the UN World Health Organization (WHO), has joined the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in carrying out an assessment of the most crowded shelters. Over 2,200 people are already in emergency shelters.In Honduras and Costa Rica damage has so far been limited, with some people cut off and few in emergency shelters, OCHA reported.Flooding has also engulfed southern Haiti where UN peacekeepers have evacuated hundreds of families from their homes and placed them in temporary shelters as waters have risen after days of torrential rain. 14 October 2011Some 100,000 people in Mexico and Central America are facing flooding as Hurricane Jova and a tropical depression unleash torrential rains over the region, the United Nations reported today as it activated emergency and assessment teams in Nicaragua and El Salvador.
VANCOUVER — Canadian Heritage Minister Shelly Glover says she has asked the federal broadcast regulator to prepare a report on so-called pick-and-pay television services, making it clear that her government will pursue changes to stop cable and satellite providers from “bundling” television channels into all-or-nothing packages.Glover said the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has until April 30 to deliver its report, including steps the agency plans to take toward unbundling TV services.“We are convinced that this is something that Canadian consumers want,” Glover said Thursday in Vancouver. “We want to give them choice and we have indicated very clearly that we will require television channels to be unbundled.”The move is part of a consumer-first strategy outlined in the recent throne speech, and Industry Minister James Moore has said previously that government will force TV service providers to stop all-or-nothing packaging by cable and satellite companies.The broadcast regulator unveiled new rules in 2011 aimed at preventing cable providers from restricting consumer choice, and last month launched consultations on the future of television in Canada.“Our government is asking for a complete and comprehensive picture from the CRTC of the impact of unbundling television channels. First and foremost, we want to know the impact on consumers,” Glover said.The examination will include the impacts on cost and multicultural programming, the minister said.Some providers have already moved in this direction, Glover said, citing Videotron in Quebec. Bell and Rogers have also taken steps, she said, “but not to the extent, of course, where it is a complete unbundling of services.”The changes extend to telecommunications, Glover told reporters, saying Moore made an announcement earlier Thursday in New Brunswick.Moore said that beginning next March, 2300 MHz and 3500 MHz licences auctioned off will begin to expire and carriers that haven’t met all conditions of those licences will not be renewed.The 2300 and 3500 MHz bands are for fixed wireless service, where providers broadcast signals from antennas to businesses and homes.The aim of the auction was to expand wireless service into rural areas where subscribers couldn’t get high-speed broadband service from cable or their phone companies, and the licence conditions included a requirement to provide service in the entire area of the licence by the time it expired.That condition was meant to force wireless expansion into rural areas, where lower profit margins and higher costs have made some carriers reluctant to deploy.“Our government will only renew spectrum licences for those holders that have met all conditions of licence. Those that have not used the spectrum will lose it,” Moore said in a statement.“Our government will continue to enhance rural access to high-speed broadband networks and will continue to put consumer interests at the core of our decisions.”Licences that are not renewed will return to government hands and possibly be auctioned off again in future.Glover said the revisions to both television and telecommunications rules will benefit consumers.“Today’s announcements are important steps in defending Canadian consumers and giving them the choice and access they expect, and frankly deserve,” she said.The Canadian Press