All articles about 苏州海选t台

Democrats’ stance on sanctuary cities will cost them

first_imgRepublicans can only hope that liberals running in 2018 will make an issue of the Justice Department lawsuit.After all, do Democrats really want to be on the side of shielding illegal immigrants – many of whom have outstanding warrants and criminal records?When the Oakland mayor alerted an entire community of illegal immigrant criminals that ICE was coming, she reportedly allowed about 800 to escape.According to ICE officials, almost half of those who were arrested “had prior felony convictions for serious or violent offenses, such as child sex crimes, weapons charges and assault, or had past convictions for significant or multiple misdemeanors.” Are those really the people Democrats want to defend?I hope so.I can already see the campaign ads that Republicans will be running. The Democrats’ position on sanctuary cities will not play well in flyover America. The law is not optional once you have made a pledge to uphold the duties of your office.Open-border radicals in California and other liberal strongholds must be held accountable.Of course, liberals would have you believe that they are only interested in protecting the poor, the oppressed and the hardworking who have nowhere else to go.But in many cases, their actions allow dangerous and sometimes repeat criminals to be shielded from deportation or prison.In California, good Samaritans who value the rule of law are even prohibited from voluntarily cooperating with federal immigration officials who are trying to uphold the law and make communities safer.Anyway, Democrats and their allies in the media will say otherwise, but nothing about this conversation is even in the slightest bit hyperbolic.Local politicians are actually warning illegal immigrants of impending enforcement actions. Categories: Editorial, OpinionAttorney General Jeff Sessions and the Trump administration are going about the sanctuary city issue in the right way.The very idea of so-called sanctuary cities is offensive to a lot of law-abiding Americans.Taking action against the liberal politicians who want to give safe harbor to illegal immigrants is a slow, easy pitch from the Democrats, and Republicans everywhere should take advantage.The Justice Department is now challenging several laws in California that not only interfere with the nation’s immigration policies but also place American citizens and law enforcement personnel at risk.The idea that laws can be ignored and that state and local politicians can affirmatively warn lawbreakers of how to escape apprehension is incredible.It is indefensible. We either have laws, or we don’t.And if our elected leaders don’t want to uphold the law, they can either change them or resign. In Oakland, Mayor Libby Schaaf went so far as to issue a press release and accompanying tweet alerting illegal immigrants in the Bay Area of an impending Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) operation last month.According to ICE Deputy Director Thomas D. Homan, what the Oakland mayor did “is no better than a gang lookout yelling ‘police’ when a police cruiser comes in the neighborhood.” The fact that a politician who presumably swore to uphold the Constitution could feel so emboldened to undermine an active law enforcement operation and place those officers in harm’s way cannot go unanswered.And according to what Sessions said on Wednesday, it won’t.Specifically, speaking before the California Peace Officers’ Association, Sessions said: “We are going to fight these irrational, unfair, and unconstitutional policies that have been imposed on you and our federal officers.“We are fighting to make your jobs safer and to help you reduce crime in America.“We are fighting to have a lawful system of immigration that serves Americans. And we intend to win.” Well said. Last month, plenty of Democrats and liberal outlets pushed the idea that somehow, in some bizarre twist of reality, Republicans had split with law enforcement and were no longer the party of law and order.The Huffington Post even pronounced that Republicans had “unleashed an extraordinary attack on law enforcement” by criticizing a few senior FBI officials.With the Democrats’ position on sanctuary cities, that argument should not be too difficult to dismiss. Anyone who supports illegal aliens and opposes law enforcement’s efforts to protect communities from criminals should be shown no quarter – not in the media, not in the courtroom and not in our political campaigns.In the case of the administration’s policy on sanctuary cities, good policy is also the best politics.Ed Rogers is a contributor to the Washington Post’s PostPartisan blog, a political consultant and a veteran of the Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush White Houses and several national campaigns.More from The Daily Gazette:Foss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censuslast_img read more

Pardew given permission to rebuild

first_img That may dismay his most ardent critics, but the fact remains that a 10th-place finish met Ashley’s minimum requirement for a season during which the goal-posts were moved significantly by the January sale of Yohan Cabaye to Paris St Germain. Pardew, of course, survived after his head-butt on Hull midfielder David Meyler in March, which drew a hefty fine from his club, but not the delivery of his P45, and the owner seems prepared to allow him to continue as he searches for the form and flair which brought the Magpies a top-five finish two seasons ago. Whether or not he can persuade an increasingly rebellious fan-base to give him another chance, however, remains to be seen. The mood at St James’ Park has turned ugly in recent weeks as a season which got off to a more than promising start – the club sat in sixth place on Boxing Day and looked poised for an assault on the big guns above – imploded. Cabaye’s departure, or more accurately, the decision not to replace him, had a crippling effect on a team in which he had been the driving force. Pardew had no desire to lose the France international, nor any power to prevent him from leaving, and the failure to replace him had little to do with him either. However, he freely accepts his share of the blame for what followed as a collective negativity saw Newcastle slide alarmingly into the back-waters of mid-table with barely a whimper to invite charges of a lack of ambition. Asked what the summer would hold for him ahead of Sunday’s trip to Anfield, Pardew replied simply, “Work”, and what happens over the next three months or so seems likely to determine exactly how much longer he remains in post. The 52-year-old ended the Barclays Premier League campaign with a 2-1 defeat at Liverpool, his side’s seventh reverse in its final eight fixtures, with some fans once again making their feelings plain. However, Press Association Sport understands he will head into his annual end-of-season debrief with owner Mike Ashley this week with his job under no immediate threat. Under-pressure Newcastle boss Alan Pardew will be given the opportunity to rebuild his team after a difficult conclusion to the season. His main task will be to rebuild a squad which has given him limited options, and there will be departures as well as arrivals. The likes of Hatem Ben Arfa, Sylvain Marveaux and Gabriel Obertan appear to have little future on Tyneside – the former has become something of a talisman for disaffected fans, although his contribution this season has been minimal – while Shola Ameobi is out of contract and his younger brother Sammy faces an anxious wait to see if he will have a part to play. But recruitment will be key after two transfer windows during which the club did not make a single permanent signing, and Pardew has hinted he would like to shop in a different market this time around. Chief scout Graham Carr’s contacts in Europe have seen the club exploit the French and Dutch markets in recent seasons, but the manager is keen to bring a more British flavour to the group as he plots the way forward under new managing director Lee Charnley. Sunderland’s out-of-contract midfielder Jack Colback and Swansea counterpart Jonjo Shelvey have been mentioned in dispatches, although their current employers have designs of their own, and only time will tell whether or not Pardew gets his wish. Press Associationlast_img read more

LA Dodgers’ Owners Make Fresh Bid to Buy Chelsea

first_imgAbramovich has rejected four offers for the club in 18 months with prospective buyers looking to take advantage of the owner’s current predicament.The 53-year-old is steering the club from his homeland due to a visa stand-off sparked by the cooling of diplomatic relations between Britain and Russia last year.Abramovich subsequently shelved plans to build Chelsea a £500million state-of-the-art new stadium.Crucially, the planning permission for that construction expires on March 31 next year, a deadline that Boehly could keep a close eye on when looking to time his next bid.A new stadium would clearly significantly increase the value of the club and Abramovich is understood to have already increased his valuation of Chelsea in light of Silver Lake’s £500m purchase of 10 per cent of Manchester City.It is now believed that he values Chelsea at £3.74bn, but Boehly is still eager to pursue a deal.The Eldridge Industries owner is worth an estimated £4.72bn and has made no secret of his desire to purchase a Premier League club, calling it the ‘best product in the world’.He previously told Bloomberg: ‘You can never predict these things. One of the nice things about football clubs is that they’re relationship-driven and team driven, and therefore it’s unlikely one just gets put up and sold by auction.‘So you develop long-term relationships and get to know them, but ultimately whether or not something happens I don’t know. But what I do know is I’ve learned a lot. I’ve learned a lot about the fan-base, the global opportunity. It’s the best product in the world.‘The billion-pound question is the price. It’s hard to buy quality and not have to pay up. Then it’s a question of can you continue to build on what you’ve acquired at that price?‘That’s the question. I continue to believe there is a global opportunity for the best clubs. Ultimately, it comes down to can something get done that both sides think makes sense?’The American made his fortune as founder of Eldridge Industries after leaving Guggenheim Partners with huge investments in media, sport and property. Eldridge employ more than 2,500 across their business.He was educated at the London School of Economics, part owns Women’s National Basketball Association side Los Angeles Sparks and has shares in professional esports organsiation Cloud9.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The American financier Todd Boehly has not been deterred by Roman Abramovich’s rejection of his offer to buy Chelsea, and is ready to up his bid.Boehly is keen on making a new approach in spite of insistence from the Stamford Bridge club that they are not for sale.According to the Telegraph, the LA Dodgers’ 20 per cent stake holder will return to the table with a new offer having made Chelsea his No 1 target. Todd Boehly last_img read more

Former Barbados Central Bank governor makes case for adopting US currency

first_imgBRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – A former central bank governor is calling for Caribbean countries to give up their individual currencies and adopt the United States dollar.Would eliminate domestic currency depreciation Dr. DeLeslie Worrell, the former governor of the Central bank of Barbados, told a conference organized by the Sir Arthur Lewis Institute of Social and Economic Studies (SALISES) earlier this week that switching to the US currency would essentially eliminate the threat of domestic currency depreciation and with it, the resulting possible disruptions to economic stability.He said there was no time like the present to switch to US currency, noting that the process is not as difficult as some people may imagine.Two-prong processWorrell suggested a two-prong process, which involves physically purchasing US notes and coins as well as digital frameworks.“The local currencies can be entirely redeemed by the Central Bank by purchasing and importing US currency notes and coins using their existing foreign reserve balances. Central banks and monetary authorities in the Caribbean all have foreign reserves sufficient to purchase US notes and coins to replace the full issue of local currency at the prevailing exchange rate,” he said, adding that most Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries  have the requisite foreign reserves to facilitate the recommended dollarization process.“All deposits and other liabilities of the banking system are held in digital record and that an equal amount of credit and other assets would also be held in digital record. All that would be required for these balances, is to convert both sides of the balance sheet from local currency to US currency at the prevailing exchange rate.”There has been widespread speculation here that the Barbados dollar could be devalued and in his presentation, Worrell addressed the situation.“Domestic currency depreciation brings challenges that inhibit the country’s economic development prospects. It undermines investor confidence. It undermines investor confidence because prospective investors know that devaluation would be inflationary and would trigger increases in import cost as well as unease and unrest in the labor force.“The threat of devaluation also leads to capital flight as businesses and wealthy individuals switch to the US dollar value system,” said Worrell, arguing that the recurring threat of domestic currency depreciation also widens the disparity in income distribution.last_img read more

NWPL Board Sanctions Bayelsa Queens

first_imgMatchday 12 of the Nigeria Women Premier League was on Wednesday marred by distasteful reports from two match centers; Nembe City Stadium – where Bayelsa Queens defeated Sunshine Queens by a lone goal – and the Atiku Abubakar Stadium in Fofure – where the match between Adamawa Queens and Osun Babes was inconclusive at 2-1 in favour of the hosts.Sunshine Queens FC player, Elizabeth Johnson was a victim of assault in Nembe, and a photo of her shared across social media revealed a bleeding cut on her face.In Fofure, Osun Babes claimed they were protesting a controversial call by the referee when Adamawa Queens fans started throwing objects at them hence they could not continue the game.Below is a press release from the NWFL board stating its decision on both cases.Following the emergency meeting of the Ad-hoc Committee formed by the Chairman of the Nigeria Women Football League in a sitting on the 20 – 21st July, 2017 at the Nigeria Women Football League Secretariat Abuja, the following decisions were arrived. Adamawa Queens FC vs. Osun Babes FCFrom the available match reports received from Match Commissioner and Referee of the match, it was established that the match was abandoned because Osun Babes FC refused to continue play of the game at the 13th minute.The above act of Osun Babes FC is an infraction of article 15.9 of rules book which emphasize on the duration of each game.Consequently, in exercise of article 15.10.2 of the rules book, the match shall count as a complete fixture and award a fine of N500,000.00 to Osun Babes FC as enshrine in article 16.2 for discontinuation.RelatedNWPL Matchday 12 Review: Charity Reuben Back Atop Goalscorers’ ChartJuly 20, 2017In “Nigeria”AITEO Cup Roundup: Big Guns Rain Goals On AmateursSeptember 14, 2017In “Nigeria”NWPL Matchday 11 Review: Three Away Wins Recorded As Super Four Takes ShapeJuly 13, 2017In “Nigeria” Bayelsa Queens FC vs. Sunshine Queens FC– The result of the match which started and ended with one goal in favour of Bayelsa Queens FC stands.– From our findings, security provision was ineffective at the match, thereby resulting in assault at the end of the match. Therefore, State Football Association is hereby called to live up to expectation in their responsibility in providing adequate and effective security in their subsequent matches as provided in article 1.7.1 of the rules book.– Because clubs shall be held responsible for the behaviour of their supporters before, during or after any match as enshrine in article 22.9 of the rules book. The Bayelsa State Football Association in conjunction with Bayelsa Queens FC are to identify and produce the assailant(s) on or before 28th of July, 2017 to the Nigeria Women Football League Secretariat. Failure of which the league will have no option other take drastic measures on Bayelsa Queens FC.– The assault on the Sunshine Queens FC player, Elizabeth Johnson was established as a result of fans encroachment into the field immediately after the final whistle of the game. This act attracts a fine of N2,000,000.00 (Two Million Naira) only to be paid by Bayelsa Queens FC before their next home game. The Nigeria Women Football League invokes article 27.1.3 of the rules book for this fine.– That Bayelsa Queens FC should make a payment of N200,000.00 for continuous medical treatment of the injured player via Nigeria Women Football League.– That Bayelsa Queens FC should pay the sum of N50,000.00 for the damaged video camera repair via the Nigeria Women Football League.– The Match Commissioner failed in his responsibility in ensuring the security and safety of the away team as the team suffered total neglect after the match. Therefore, the Match Commissioner is being recommended to appropriate committee for appropriate sanction.last_img read more