The single-engine Cessna 208-B Caravan was located from the air in the mountains of La Giganta, 26km west of Loreto, the airport in the state of Baja California Sur from which the plane departed.Weather is believed to have been a factor in the crash with Tropical Storm Octave bringing heavy rain to the area Monday.The Cessna Caravan was on a 30-minute flight to Ciudad Constitucion.A search was launched two hours after take-off but later suspended because of bad weather.It has been suggested that pilot may have altered course because of the weather and become disoriented.The Cessna Caravan is a popular plane with over 2000 built since it first flew in December 1982.There have been 231 incidents and accidents involving the Caravan.So far for 2013 there have been 22 crashes with 197 fatalities.The ten year crash average is 27 accidents with 627 deaths.Last year was the safest on record with 15 fatal accidents involving with 414 fatalities.In 2012 there were 37.5 million flights which carried almost 3 billion passengers
CCA’s vast catalogue includes recording labels such as AS Entertainment, Godfather (specialising in Nigerian content), Al Records (East and West Africa content) and Soulistic Music, which features top DJs like Black Coffee. “With Africa’s mobile penetration now at approximately 50% of the 1-billion population, MTN sees a huge opportunity in music content being delivered on people’s mobile handsets via our www.mtnplay.com digital content portal.” Christian de Faria, MTN’s senior vice president for innovation, says there is a growing demand for digital content in Africa: “More and more people in Africa and in the developed world are going online for entertainment content,” he said in a statement earlier this month. CCA has a substantial catalogue of African musical content by artists in Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, South Africa and Kenya – among others. It also has rights to exclusive video content featuring a host of popular African artists, including Hugh Masekela, Fela Kuti and Busi Mhlongo. Growing demand for digital content Vast catalogue of African music “Connect Africa is passionate about music from our continent,” said CCA managing director Antos Stella. “We have always strived to be ahead of the pack when it comes to representing African music, offering our artists and labels a bouquet of services from content to marketing, sponsorship and digital management. Through its deal with CCA, MTN will offer a wide selection of music content, which will be available either as full tracks or caller tunes. He explained that the African consumer, with an estimated spending power of US$1.4-trillion by 2020, has become highly aspirational with a taste for world-class goods and services over the last few years. “We are delighted to work with MTN Play to deliver this content to the rest of Africa.” Pan-African mobile operator MTN has teamed up with Content Connect Africa (CCA), an aggregator and provider of on and off-portal content, to offer a wider variety of African music to its customers across the continent. 23 June 2011 SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
Women are more likely to use cellphones for texting or emails to build relationships and have deeper conversations, while men prefer using their devices for entertainment purposes and accessing social networking sites, a new US study has found.Women college students spend an average of 10 hours a day on their cellphones and men college students spend nearly eight, with excessive use posing potential risks for academic performance, researchers from Baylor University said.”As cellphone functions increase, addictions to this seemingly indispensable piece of technology become an increasingly realistic possibility,” said researcher James Roberts, The Ben H Williams Professor of Marketing in Baylor’s Hankamer School of Business.The study noted that approximately 60 per cent of college students admit they may be addicted to their cellphone, and some indicated they get agitated when it is not in sight.The study – based on an online survey of 164 college students – examined 24 cellphone activities and found that time spent on 11 of those activities differed significantly across the sexes.Some functions – among them Pinterest and Instagram – are associated significantly with cellphone addiction. But others that might logically seem to be addictive – Internet use and gaming – were not.Of the top activities, respondents overall reported spending the most time texting (an average of 94.6 minutes a day), followed by sending emails (48.5 minutes), checking Facebook (38.6 minutes), surfing the Internet (34.4 minutes) and listening to their iPods (26.9 minutes).Men send about the same number of emails as women but spend less time on each.”That may suggest that they’re sending shorter, more utilitarian messages than their female counterparts,” Roberts said.advertisementWomen may be more inclined to use cellphones for social reasons such as texting or emails to build relationships and have deeper conversations, the study suggested.The men in the study, while more occupied with using their cellphones for utilitarian or entertainment purposes, “are not immune to the allure of social media,” Roberts said.They spent time visiting such social networking sites as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Among reasons they used Twitter were to follow sports figures, catch up on the news – “or, as one male student explained it, ‘waste time,'” Roberts said.The study was published in the Journal of Behavioral Addictions.
New Delhi: Infrastructure major L&T on Tuesday said its construction arm has bagged the contract for construction of the Navi Mumbai International Airport. The company did not provide value of the contracts but said the orders fall under “major” category which ranges between Rs 5,000 crore and Rs 7,000 crore as per its classification of contracts. “The transportation infrastructure and buildings and factories businesses of L&T Construction have secured a prestigious project from the Navi Mumbai International Airport Private Ltd (NMIAPL) for the engineering, procurement and construction of the greenfield Navi Mumbai International Airport at Navi Mumbai,” L&T said in a regulatory filing. The passenger terminal building is being developed to initially handle a capacity of 10 MPA (million passengers per annum). The project will subsequently be enhanced to handle 20 MPA, the company added. Shares of the company were trading at Rs 1,314 apiece, down 1.06 per cent, from their previous close on BSE.
APTN National NewsA couple dozen people also took up the Idle No More cause in Whitehorse.The modest crowd, including local politicians and chiefs, gathered in front of the offices of Yukon’s Conservative MP Ryan Leef.The rally focused on Bill C-45, the government’s omnibus legislation.Demonstrators said the legislation will make amendments to the Indian Act that changes how land is managed on First Nations. They say this will help the federal government take control of First Nation land.“This is just the beginning of the Conservative agenda. This is just the beginning of the changes that are coming and if it is frightening …it’s just going to go on and on and on unless we stand up as a grassroots movement and get it to stop,” said demonstrator Cherish Clarke.
TORONTO – Playtex-branded plastic plates and bowls for children are being recalled after the distributor received four reports of choking in Canada.No serious injury has been reported but Health Canada and Edgewell Personal Care Canada say consumers should stop using the products and return them for a refund.They say the choking risk comes from a clear plastic coating that can peel or bubble from the surface of the plates or bowls.The products feature brightly coloured designs and are sold separately or in sets with plastic cups and cutlery.Further information is available through Health Canada at http://bit.ly/2yIDZeHThe products had been on the market in Canada since January 2010, with about 1.9 million units sold here and 3.6 million units distributed in the United States.No incidents or injuries in the United States have been reported
Jammu: An Army soldier was killed when Pakistan violated the ceasefire by heavily shelling forward areas and posts along the Line of Control with mortar bombs in Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri district Thursday, officials said. Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire in Keri belt of Sunderbani sector this morning, they said. One soldier was was killed in Pakistani firing, they added. Pakistani troops have violated the ceasefire over 110 times along the LoC since January.
New Delhi: The central zone of South Delhi Municipal Corporation on Sunday undertook massive clean-up operations near Nizamuddin Dargah and Humayun Tomb area in an attempt to remove illegal encroachments that were causing major traffic congestion problems in the area. This action from the municipality comes after the Delhi High Court demanded that substantive measures be taken to this effect based on a plea filed by the Jamia Arabia Nizamia Welfare Educational Society (JANWES). Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderDuring the clearing operation, SDMC stated that they demolished 42 temporary sheds and ‘tripals’ and removed several petty articles including iron grills, benches, and refrigerators. Officers from the Licensing and Health and Veterinary departments along with Delhi Police staffers carried out the clearance operations in what SDMC said was an attempt to ease traffic congestion in the streets leading towards the Dargah. The SDMC said that they also issued notices to two kiosks in the area, asking occupiers to remove them, failing which central zone officials will take necessary steps. However, this comes on the back of repeated orders from the High Court regarding clearing up the area, according to an observation made by a bench last week. While hearing the JANWES plea, the court had noted that SDMC and police officials were busy blaming each other and thus delaying clearance operations. It had asked SDMC Commissioner and DCP Traffic to appear before it on April 16.
New Delhi: Launching a scathing attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Congress spokesperson Pawan Khera on Tuesday questioned the prime minister’s assets and raised doubts over “alleged irregularities” in the property declared by the Prime Minister himself in an affidavit.The Congress has urged the Election Commission to take action against Narendra Modi’s past affidavit. A delegation of Congress party also submitted a memorandum to EC in this regard. The Congress accused the Prime Minister of furnishing contradictory information regarding his assets in Gandhinagar. According to the party, PM Modi has submitted differing details of the same property in different affidavits. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The Congress allegation came after public interest litigation (PIL) was filed in the Supreme Court seeking a court-monitored probe into the “irregularities” in the affidavits submitted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The PIL was filed by Maharashtra-based journalist Saket Gokhale. In his petition, Gokhale has claimed that PM Modi had previously mentioned a plot of land in Gujarat’s Gandhinagar that was allocated to the former Gujarat CM by the state government in his 2007 affidavit for the Gujarat Assembly elections. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KAs per Congress spokesperson, in an election affidavit in 2007, Modi declared that he was the sole owner of Plot 411 in Sector 1, prime property in Gandhinagar. “Modi listed the area of the plot as 326.22 square metres and the cost of its purchase as Rs 1.3 lakh. Based on the market rates prevailing in Gandhinagar, this plot is presently worth about Rs 1.18 crore. Modi was the then CM of Gujarat and had also declared in his affidavit that he had spent Rs 30,363 to construct on the piece of the same land,” Khera told reporters while addressing a Press conference. However, the property did not find mention in the prime minister’s affidavit for the 2012 state elections or the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. Instead, PM Modi declared 1/4th ownership of another property in the same area. The former plot of land was missing in PM Modi’s 2016 and 2017 asset declarations as well. According to Gokhale, the land records still indicate PM Modi’s name. The petition has been filed under Article 19(1)(a) (freedom of speech and expression) of the Indian Constitution.
New Delhi: With the polls in Delhi approaching and just a few days remaining for the candidates to campaign, Congress’ Chandni Chowk candidate JP Agarwal on Saturday intensified his efforts to reach voters in his constituency.While greeting voters on morning walks in parks across Pashchim Vihar and Shakoor Basti, Agarwal said that the Narendra Modi government’s days are numbered. He said that the results, which are due on May 23 will confirm this once and for all for everyone to see. Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehiclesWith several residents receiving the four time MP heartwarmingly, Agarwal said if he wins the upcoming election, he will make sure that he is available for his electorate and listens to their problems. Talking to people Mr Agarwal said, “You should come out in good numbers to exercise your franchise and vote this government out of power. Every vote counts and therefore every single vote is necessary to teach the BJP a lesson. The public has made up its mind to vote the ‘jumlebaz’ and misleading government out of power.” Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarAgarwal is going up against sitting MP and Cabinet Minister Harsh Vardhan of the BJP and Pankaj Gupta of AAP. While Vardhan seems to be the strongest opponent for a heavyweight like Agarwal, it remains to be seen which way the people of Chandni Chowk will go. Agarwal’s campaign has been focused on reaching out to voters in the forms of padyatras, two of which were held on Saturday in Gandhi Market and Lal Kuan. He met voters and urged people to vote for him and his party to form the government at Centre. Agarwal thanked his supporters and party workers and said that their support gives him hope for the nation. During his Padyatras he said, “Looking at the people’s attachment for the Congress party during my Padyatra, I am convinced that Congress-led government is going to be formed after May 23. I am very happy to see the positive response of people of all sections towards our public outreach campaigns.”