Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino revealed Jan Vertonghen could make his return for Saturday’s Premier League showdown with ChelseaThe Belgian defender has been sidelined for the last two months with a hamstring injury.But, during the international break, Vertonghen made a return to training at Spurs ahead of a challenging few weeks for the club.The 31-year-old had been ruled out until December, but his early return is a welcoming sight for Pochettino.However, while he refused to rule Vertonghen out for Saturday’s game, Pochettino remains wary of risking him.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“It’s very good news,” said Pochettino on Thursday, according to the Independent.“Jan is an important player for us. In the last two weeks, he was training very, very well.“There’s still one day more [before the Chelsea game], and now we need to wait tomorrow and decide if we believe that he can be involved for Saturday’s game.”The league game between Spurs and Chelsea will begin at 18:30 (CET) at Wembley on Saturday.
Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? Post a comment 19 Photos Tim Cook Apple Tim Cook says Apple isn’t a monopoly. CNBC Apple CEO Tim Cook says he’s tired of the perception that all tech companies are cut from the same cloth, especially from vocal figures in Washington who have called for his company to be broken up.”I’m frustrated that tech is painted as monolithic. Tech is not monolithic,” Cook said Monday during an interview with CNBC, comparing the idea to the notion that all restaurants are alike. The suggestion that tech giants need to be broken up was floated by Sen. Elizabeth Warren in March. The Democratic presidential candidate said tech companies such as Apple, Amazon, Google and Facebook have too much influence over our lives and would like to see them broken up.In Apple’s case, Warren says Apple’s App Store gives the company too much of a competitive advantage.”Apple, you’ve got to break it apart from their App Store. It’s got to be one or the other,” Warren said. “Either they run the platform or they play in the store.”Cook, unsurprisingly, doesn’t see things the way Warren does.”I don’t think anybody would call us a monopoly,” Cook said. “We’re geographically in the same location as a lot of tech companies, and that is about the extent of the commonality.”Warren sees tech companies gaining too much power over the economy, society and democracy. She’s also suggested passing laws that prevent large e-commerce platforms (with global annual revenue of $25 billion or more) from owning both the platform and any sellers on it.”They’ve bulldozed competition, used our private information for profit, and tilted the playing field against everyone else,” she wrote in a blog post about the tech titans. “And in the process, they have hurt small businesses and stifled innovation.”During his CNBC interview, Cook also sought to distance his company from the waves of data privacy scandals that have flowed through the tech community. “We don’t traffic in your data,” he said, defending how the company curates its platform. “We’ve always curated … we don’t get wrapped up in a pretzel about saying, ‘No, that doesn’t go on our platform, no that app doesn’t work, and therefore it’s not going in the App Store,'” he said. “I know that that has opened us for criticism.”But it’s a part of being a shop owner or whatever. If you own the shop on the corner, you decide what goes in your store.” 18 Apple products that changed the world Tags Apple Tech Industry Politics Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 Share your voice • 0 Aug 31 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors reading • Tim Cook says keep Apple out of tech breakup talk Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it See All
Close Amit Shah: NDA will fight the 2019 Lok Sabha elections under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ballot box (Representational image)Wikimedia CommonsTo the surprise of many, the Election Commission of India has announced that polling in Nizamabad Lok Sabha constituency in Telangana would be done by ballot papers and not Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) for the upcoming elections on April 11. The announcement sparked the question – Why?Many asked why this constituency was given the special status while the rest of the country had the polling done through EVMs.Why ballot and not EVMs?The Election Commission explained that a Lok Sabha constituency with more than 64 candidates will have ballot paper polling instead of EVMs. Nizamabad, the third largest city in Telangana, saw 245 aspiring candidates filing their nominations. Most of them are farmers demanding the government to allow an appropriate price for their red jowar crops.EVMs can only accommodate 16 names with the control unit capable of recording the voting of four EVMs linked together. In total, each control unit can record the maximum of 64 candidates and since there are a whopping 185 candidates in the fray in Nizamabad, the Election Commission has no choice but to conduct a paper ballot in the constituency. Hindustan Times reports that Nizamabad alone has 1.5 million voters.The deadline to withdraw nominations was March 28. The Election Commission has closely examined the candidates and narrowed the list to 185.Who are the candidates?Farmers’ leader K Avnesh Reddy was proud that so many farmers are contesting the polls on April 11. He said that even though there was so much pressure by the bigger political parties on the farmers to withdraw their candidature, the farmers till stood their ground and will now have a chance to get elected and bring their problems to the Centre. Kalvakuntla Kavitha will contest from her Nizamabad Lok Sabha constituencyTwitter/Kalvakuntla KavithaKalvakuntla Kavitha, the daughter of Telangana Rashtra Samithi president and Chief Minister Chandrashekar Rao, currently holds power in Nizamabad and will contest from her constituency.Congress candidate Madhu Yashki Goud and Bharatiya Janata Party candidate Dharmapuri Aravind are the candidates form the big leagues. There are four more candidates from recognised political parties while the rest are contesting as independent candidates.”More than 200 nominations were filed till the last date on March 25 and after the rejection of some of the nominations during scrutiny, as many as 189 candidates remained in the contest. Of them, four contestants withdrew their papers,” Telangana chief electoral officer Rajat Kumar was quoted as saying by HT.He added, “We will go for voting through ballot papers as it is not possible to conduct the polls using EVMs. We represented the matter to Election Commission of India and are awaiting instructions.”Will the ballot result be announced at the same time as the EVM results?Kumar was not sure on how long it will take for the EC to print out the ballot paper due to the sheer number of candidates. He said, “First we have to allot symbols to all the contestants. We should also make the arrangements for procurement of ballot boxes. The EC will take care of all the logistic arrangements.”After the withdrawal of several nominations, as of Friday, the Nizamabad Lok Sabha constituency still has 185 candidates and 178 of them are farmers. Since counting the ballot would take time, it is speculated that the outcome of the result in the constituency would be delayed. IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:06/1:46Loaded: 0%0:06Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-1:40?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading …
Representational picture: Pakistan International Airlines flightFAROOQ NAEEM/AFP/Getty ImagesPakistan International Airlines incurred the wrath of many following an advertisement stating that a breakfast of sausages and baked beans was the taste of home. In the ad, which was trending on Twitter, the airlines said it will serve the ‘taste of home’ on board and they will do that with a dash of salt and pepper. Pakistan International Airlines wrote: “Just when you start missing it, we serve you a taste of home! A dash of salt and little bit of pepper, we tantalize your taste buds with our delicious meal to welcome the glorious morning! #PIA #BreakfastWithPIA” TwitterThis triggered a series of replies to the tweet with angry Twitterati saying that Anda and paratha was a taste of home and not an English breakfast with sausages and baked beans with an omelette.One angry Twitter user replied: “Please ask the Air Marshal running the airline if this is for Pakistanis or Brits. I ask because this is not a taste of home for Pakistanis and for Brits hash browns and bacon are missing.”Another user placated the situation saying that he would prefer this breakfast compared to the “greasy omelettes and the dry bun.”
French president Emmanuel Macron (R) accompanies out british prime minister Theresa May after a meeting at the Elysee Palace in Paris on 9 April. Photo: AFPThey call it the Trojan Horse strategy: Brexit supporters furious at their government’s failure to leave the EU on time are aiming to undermine the European Parliament following elections next month.The Greek myth about the hollow wooden horse Odysseus used to sneak his men into Troy to capture it from within was invoked by Conservative MP Mark Francois ahead of Wednesday’s critical EU summit.”If we were to be held in the EU against our democratically expressed will because some in the EU hope against hope that we will change our mind, then they will live to regret it,” Francois told a Brexiteer conference in the heart of London.”We will become a Trojan Horse within the EU and utterly derail all their attempts to pursue a more federalist project,” he said from a lectern bearing a portrait of Margaret Thatcher — a premier whose views on Europe grew darker with time.Francois warned EU leaders meeting in Brussels later Wednesday to consider the UK government’s request for another Brexit delay that “they will need to bear all these inconvenient truths in mind”.As difficult as possibleThese inconvenient truths were first raised in a tweet last Friday by Jacob Rees-Mogg — the leader of a rightwing insurgency tearing at prime minister Theresa May’s Conservative Party.”If a long extension leaves us stuck in the EU we should be as difficult as possible,” Rees-Mogg wrote moments after May asked Brussels to push back Britain’s departure to keep it from crashing out.EU leaders’ expected approval will put Britain in the paradoxical situation of having to take part in European Parliament elections on 23 May — nearly three years after voting to chart its own course.Rees-Mogg said Britain should make best use of its predicament by vetoing “any increase in the (EU) budget, obstruct the putative EU army and block (French President Emmanuel) Macron’s integrationist schemes”.Francois pointed cheerfully to a response to Rees-Mogg’s tweet from the European Parliament’s Brexit coordinator Guy Verhofstadt that also went viral.”For those in the EU who may be tempted to further extend the Brexit saga, I can only say, be careful what you wish for,” Verhofstadt wrote.”Who am I to put try and put it better than Guy Verhofstadt,” Francois chortled.FireworksRees-Mogg and Francois voted against the Brexit deal that May struck with the EU all three times it came up for a vote. They view it as too EU-friendly.Only 26 of the 314 Conservatives in parliament joined them the last time around — a shrinking group that May hopes will grow even smaller by the time she tries to get her pact through on the fourth attempt.Her ability to do this quickly could still keep Britain from having to actually fill its 73 seats when a new European Parliament opens its doors in July.Some of the current places have in any case been reassigned.Yet the level of Conservatives’ anger with May seems to be rising as the possibility grows of Brexit being pushed further out of reach.Ninety-seven Conservative MPs voted against a measure Tuesday aimed at averting a no-deal scenario. It prevailed by a 420-110 margin.Veteran EU foes such as Nigel Farage — a poster boy of the pro-Brexit campaign who once headed the nationalist UKIP group — hope the groundswell of discontent will carry his new Brexit Party to big gains in Europe.”If we have to fight those European election on 23 May, we’ll fight them because it’s time we taught them a lesson,” Farage says in a video campaign message.And even those not running themselves sound tempted by the idea of Britain making a nuisance of itself in European halls of power.Asked whether he might consider running in the European elections, veteran Conservative MP William Cash told parliament this week: “I must admit that if I were to, there would be quite a lot of fireworks in the European Parliament”.